From: Maine GeoLibrary [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Kroot, Christopher
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 4:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What's Permissible and What's Not?

Hello All

I spoke with a Google Earth executive and described what the Maine DEP
is doinf with Googe Earth.  He said that as long as the KML we create
from our system is being displayed on Google Earth and is free for
people to use then all is OK.  He said that one of the issues that often
arise is that people want to use one or more of the Google Earth tools
or functions (like a geocode engine) and then bring the result back to
their own system ( not displaying results in Google Earth), this
requires Google Earth licensing.

If all you are looking for is to display data and use tools in the
Google Earth viewer to navigate and select data for veiwing in Google
Earth then all is good.  This alone provides a great deal of value.  One
of our main objectives is to keep our web mapping simple and people love
it.  We find that the vast majority of GIS usage simply requires veiwing
mutliple data sets to enable a person to use their brain to conduct
overlay analysis and proximity analysis.

Christopher Kroot
GIS Manager
Office of Information Technology
Maine Department of Environmental Protection
Station # 17,
Ray Building, AMHI Complex
Augusta, ME 04333
207-287-6167