You should remember that ArcExplorer is designed with severe limitations
so that you will be motivated to pay for a licensed version.  I'm facing
the same distribution issue here.  I'm leaning towards using pdfs.  If
you have a licensed version of ArcGIS, you can export geo-pdf's that can
be opened with the free version of Adobe reader.  In Adobe reader, you
have the ability to see the list of layers and turn them on and off as
you wish.  It will also embed transparency.  The document is also
searchable for text strings.  Just one of many solutions...

Kyle Avila - CMA

Tax Assessor - Town of Mt. Desert

P.O. Box 248

21 Sea Street