From: Maine GeoLibrary [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Smith, Michael
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Update: NAIP 2007 WMS

We have discovered that some newer versions of Google Earth will not work the URL below, it wants the slashes turned forward.  The URL below is corrected for this and has been subsequently tested in all the software platforms listed below.  It still will not work in MapWindow.

The Maine Office of GIS and the GeoLibrary Board have provided a preliminary web mapping service for the NAIP 2007 data.  We would like you to try it out and let us know how it works for you.

A WMS service is not a web application which you can see in a web browser, it requires you to add it to some GIS software.  For example in ArcGIS you would go to "Add Data - GIS Servers - Add WMS Server" and then paste in the URL below.  If you just click on the link below, you will get an error message in your web browser.

http://geolibportal.maine.gov/wms/mapserv.exe?map=c:/wms/orthos.map&

This service will be updated (and notices sent to this list when that happens) with other imagery throughout the winter/spring.  Also we will eventually add a 5m overview of the NAIP data to speed performance.

If you are unfamiliar with NAIP data, it is a statewide 1-meter color orthophoto collection from USDA, summer 2007 (leaf-on imagery).  Metadata are available at

http://geolibportal.maine.gov  (just search on 'naip').

This service has been successfully tested in ArcGIS, MapInfo, Google Earth, QGIS, and gvSIG.  It currently does not work with MapWindow - we're looking into why.  Note to QGIS users - make sure you specify image type PNG24 or it will not look good.  The service by default is provided in lat/long, but it will also work in UTM, State Plane, Lambert, Albers, and probably any other projection system.

Any comments please direct them to me personally (off-list).

michael.smith(at)maine.gov

Michael Smith
State
GIS Manager
Maine Office of GIS

----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: