The Maine Office of GIS and the GeoLibrary Board have provided a preliminary web mapping service for the NAIP 2007 data.  We would like you to try it out and let us know how it works for you.

A WMS service is not a web application which you can see in a web browser, it requires you to add it to some GIS software.  For example in ArcGIS you would go to "Add Data - GIS Servers - Add WMS Server" and then paste in the URL below.  If you just click on the link below, you will get an error message in your web browser.

http://geolibportal.maine.gov/wms/mapserv.exe?map=c:\wms\orthos.map&

This service will be updated (and notices sent to this list when that happens) with other imagery throughout the winter/spring.  Also we will eventually add a 5m overview of the NAIP data to speed performance.

If you are unfamiliar with NAIP data, it is a statewide 1-meter color orthophoto collection from USDA, summer 2007 (leaf-on imagery).  Metadata are available at

http://geolibportal.maine.gov  (just search on 'naip').

This service has been successfully tested in ArcGIS, MapInfo, Google Earth, QGIS, and gvSIG.  It currently does not work with MapWindow - we're looking into why.  Note to QGIS users - make sure you specify image type PNG24 or it will not look good.  The service by default is provided in lat/long, but it will also work in UTM, State Plane, Lambert, Albers, and probably any other projection system.

Any comments please direct them to me personally (off-list).

michael.smith(at)maine.gov

Michael Smith
State GIS Manager
Maine Office of GIS

----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: