Good afternoon,

Yesterday someone posed an excellent question to the list about parcel data
availability.  Several useful replies came forth.

Several list subscribers did not wish to be receiving the messages and
attempted to leave the list by sending a message to the list saying 'please
remove me'.  When an e-mail is sent to [log in to unmask] it goes
directly to over 400 subscribers.  Therefore the remove me messages caused
more list subscribers to want out, triggering more 'remove me' messages to
everyone, and so the spiral.

If I saw a remove me message from anyone I 'told' the server to remove you -
that then triggers an email to you only requiring you to confirm you wish to
leave the list by clicking on a link.  I hope that has worked for people.

In effect everyone is yelling BE QUIET at once, causing the noise level to
rise.  The answer is to stop sending messages to the entire list.  If you
want off, follow the instructions provided.  If you need help, feel free to
email me (directly) and I will initiate a remove request for you (this week
only!).  This is not my list - I was merely helping during startup - list
ownership lies with the GeoLibrary Board and list management will reside
with MEGUG after this week.  Otherwise it really belongs to all subscribers.

The intent of the listserv is to be a free and open (unmoderated) exchange
of information and Q&A on topics relating to GIS and spatial data and
technologies in Maine.  Please remember to reply directly to the individual
posing a question if the response is only for them.  It is helpful for that
individual to summarize and post any useful responses they get privately.
That's how these listservs work best.  Again sending an email to
[log in to unmask] goes to 400 people.  Because of that it is also
very important to include a descriptive subject in your emails so that
people can ignore/delete them if not of interest.

On behalf of the GeoLibrary I am very sorry for the inconvenience to ALL
subscribers for today's traffic.  Please do not let it discourage you from
using the list moving forward.  These things tend to flare up and blow over
in a day (please!).  Sorry we will have lost some people from the forum and
apologies to them again for the inconvenience - we all know unwanted e-mail
is a big pain.  Some of you still on may also wish to switch to receiving
the digest form of emails now instead of all of them real time.

It's been a bit like a run on wall street - sell, sell, sell.  It was
suggested that we close the markets til it blows over.only I don't know how
to do that.  Maybe now is the time to buy low - if you know anyone who wants
to be ON the list invite them to join.

OK, that's all from me until the next on-topic exchange.

Cheers

Will Mitchell
Mitchell Geographics, Inc.
188 State Street, Suite 200