Board membership

Thanks to everyone who responded.  The concensus I got from the responses is that:

- a federal representative is desired

- otherwise board membership, quorum, etc. should not really change (mixed opinions on adding a legislator, other industry reps, keeping the board small)

- the Board is weighted too heavily to state agencies

- the ability to remove delinquent members is desired after either 3 consecutive absences or 4 absences in any 12-month period

What I have written then, into the draft bill that is (hopefully) attached, is:

- removal of the DAFS commissioner appointee, since the CIO is also representing DAFS (Nancy don't take that personally!)

- addition of a federal rep, to be nominated by the Board in a majority vote

- removal of members by the Board in a majority vote provided the delinquent member has missed either 3 consecutive meetings or 4 in any 12-month period

- no change in quorum since the membership number will stay the same

At the meeting next week I will make a motion that the Board endorse this bill and send it on to Dick Thompson who can shepherd it into the legislative process.

Michael Smith
State GIS Manager
Maine Office of GIS
<<Motion to endorse adding a federal representative to the Maine Library of Geographic Information Board.doc>> <<An Act To Add a Federal Representative to the Maine Library of Geographic Information Board.doc>>