Hi Susan, I have a friend who has lived in Harpswell for a number of years
and will inquire of her about your mystery artist!  I spent a week(almost)
at Maine Audubon camp on Hog Island a couple of summers ago (a most
wonderful place).  There is an old cottage at one end of the island in very
bad shape.  Mabel Todd who was ladyfriend of Emily Dickinson's brother went
there summers.  There are two murals painted on the walls, which would have
ben done in those early days by an E. Hurd as I recall.  I might be wrong
about that name but you could contact Seth Benz, head of Hog Island camp, to
verify and see what he knows.  Nobody I spoke to about it seemed to know
anything about the murals.  I'll be interested to know what you learn about
your mystery art.
   Do you know about the fabulous exhibit at Bowdoin College Library until
mid-Dec.  It is of many hand-made books all on the subject of Maine's
Threatened and Endangered Species..including plants, mammals, birds,
insects,etc...it is OUTSTANDING....a must-see.  It will travel  to College
of the Atlantic for Jan-March and then to Lewiston-Auburn College May -
July. The artist is on the USM faculty. I am definitely going back to see it
once or twice more.  I might have given you a postcard about it at JBS.
Best wishes, Mary Sturtevant