Did the player throw the puck or not?

From: james acheson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 12:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: throwing the puck

the point of my last post was that you cannot simply read the rule book.

those rules are inconsistent with one another, it is as simple as that.

read the rule book on elbowing.  and tell me that it is called just as the book is written...

it is not... it is about 80% interpretation and 20% writing.

read the book on interference... that is about 99% interpretation.

read the book on offsides and interference... if a player is offsides becasue he was intentionally pushed offsides (i.e. a player is skating along the blue line waiting for the puck carrier to bring the puck into the zone... he is pushed in and his team is called offsides)... what is the proper call??)

faceoff outside the zone?

or faceoff PLUS minor for interference?

that happened to Maine not long before the delay call... that one would have more reasonably been called a minor and not just a face off in my opinion,

"Chesley, Clair" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Read the rule book.  It says “throw”.  Did the player “throw” the puck.  Yes.  Therefore a minor.

Now if you want to persist in talking about what the ref “should” have done……….

Did the player “hold” the puck?  Well, he caught it.  I don’t think that you can catch a puck without holding it.  At least I never have.  The player is allowed to catch the puck and to drop it with no whistle.  So you don’t whistle the instant the player catches (holds) the puck.  So by the time he caught it and then immediately threw it the whistle blew.  At that point the puck had been thrown.  Therefore a minor.

I guess that’s why the rule is in the book in the first place.  Otherwise there would be no need to have the throwing rule at all.