This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/040410umaineadvanc.shtml

                        Saturday, April 10, 2004

                                                    Going for one, final goal

                            By  KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                          Copyright  2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

  TITLE GAMES

Herb Swanson     Jimmy Howard and the Black Bears, enjoying Thursday's win, must face down another stellar goalie in Denver's Adam Berkhoel if they hope to stage another victory celebration. There's plenty of incentive: a third national championship.
      TITLE GAMES

  1993: Maine 5, Lake Superior State 4

    1995: Boston University 6, Maine 2

    1999: Maine 3, New Hampshire 2, OT

    2002: Minnesota 4, Maine 3, OT

        BLACK BEAR HOCKEY
 The UMaine Black Bears face Denver for the NCAA Division I hockey championship at 7 p.m. Saturday. MaineToday.com's UMaine Black Bears section includes the latest Black Bear news, brackets, message board and more.

 BOSTON  --  This is it. The big one. The NCAA title hockey game. The University of Maine players say they are ready, especially those who have been in this situation before. The opponent is the University of Denver. This is the Pioneers' biggest game in 35 years, yet Denver Coach George Gwozdecky said it is no big deal.

     "It still is only a game," he said Friday. "You can get caught up in the magnitude of the event.

     "Perhaps when you feel too uptight or too seriously, you got to go back to when you were a kid on the pond, and think how much fun it was."

     Perhaps, Gwozdecky was rehearsing the speech he'd give his players before tonight's game at 7.

     Gwozdecky knows his players have not played in a title game. He wants them relaxed, not nervous like they were in Thursday semifinal, the Pioneers' first Frozen Four game since 1986. They fell behind 2-0 before rallying to beat Minnesota-Duluth, 5-3.

     "We can't afford to do that (tonight)," Denver forward Max Bull said. "I guess we didn't know what to expect and got caught up in the emotions. We have our confidence back. You won't see (a shaky start)."

     Denver can play confidently if it gets a strong effort from goaltender Adam Berkhoel. Likewise, Maine's strength is goaltender Jimmy Howard.

     "The way the goalies are playing, the game might not end until Monday night," Denver's Ryan Caldwell said. "We're getting ready for the long haul."

     Berkhoel has a 2.51 goals-against average and .910 save percentage. He has had difficult moments, but he has also been stellar, like when he shut out top-seeded North Dakota 1-0 in the West regional. In that game, Denver was outshot, 33-17.

     Maine knows about defense and goaltending. The Black Bears were outshot 41-18 Thursday in their 2-1 semifinal victory over Boston College. Howard (1.80, .935) made 40 saves.

     "These are the two hottest goalies," Maine Coach Tim Whitehead said of Berkhoel and Howard.

     Gwozdecky previously said that Berkhoel was the best goalie in college hockey. When asked how Berkhoel was superior to Howard, Gwozdecky hedged.

     "Geez. What a question," he said before a long pause. "Jimmy has been terrific. Adam plays a similar role for us."

     And that brings us to the five keys to tonight's game, starting with the guys between the pipes:

      Goaltending. Berkhoel, a Chicago Blackhawks' eighth-round pick, is a senior with 97 games of college experience. He gave up two goals in the first 4 1/2 minutes against Duluth, and then made some sensational saves to keep the Pioneers close. If he is indeed over his Frozen Four jitters, Maine will need to keep manufacturing goals with screens and rebounds.

     Howard showed Thursday that even when Maine is being dominated, he can keep the Black Bears in it. But he also showed in the Harvard game two weeks ago (allowing four goals in two periods) that he is mortal, especially if his defense abandons him.

      Discipline. Maine was living on the edge against BC, giving the Eagles seven power plays. Bull, the Denver forward, saw that.

     "They take a lot of penalties," Bull said, "so we need to get our forwards grinding down there (and draw penalties). Then we can get our (power play) going."

     Maine defenseman Troy Barnes said his team needs to stick to the plan. When the Black Bears deviate from their defensive game, they end up leaving a player open or taking a penalty.

     "We just have to keep it simple," Barnes said. "When we try to do too much, we get in trouble."

      Forechecking. Part of Maine's plan is its aggressive forechecking, keeping control in the opponents' end. The line of Dustin Penner, Jon Jankus and Mike Hamilton has been the best at this and it is not a coincidence that the line scored both goals on Thursday.

      Experience. Maine has six players who played in  the  2002 final, a 4-3 overtime loss to Minnesota. That team lost the lead in the last minute and then lost the game in overtime.

     "It's definitely a motivating factor," senior Todd Jackson said. "I think it's something that's driven our team."

      Home ice. That 2002 game against Minnesota was played in St. Paul, Minn. The crowd definitely gave the Gophers a boost at the end. The FleetCenter throng may do the same for Maine.

     Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at:

    READER COMMENTS

  The UMaine Black Bears will face Denver in the NCAA Division I title game Saturday night. Give them some words of encouragement as they attempt a national title here....