In a message dated 3/17/2004 8:34:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

I would have thought that Massachusetts would have gotten a higher vote
percentage than BU - maybe people just don't consider them the underdog
this year....

Deron Treadwell wrote:

>Check out how 4800+ USCHO viewers answer this question:
>
>Which underdog has the best chance to win their league championship to
>guarantee a slot in the national tournament?
>44% Boston University
>20% Harvard
>13% Clarkson
>11% Massachusetts
>5% Alaska-Anchorage
>5% Northern Michigan
>2% I don't know / I'm not sure / No opinion.
>Total votes: 4823

I'm not surpised by the survey results.  At this point in the season, I'd rather play UMass than BU.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if BU beat Maine and then went on to win the Hockey East tournament and gain an NCAA tourney berth.  That's not a prediction, and it's not a negative comment about Maine's performance.  To the contrary, I think BU has been a better team all season long than its record would indicate, and the Terriers have given themselves the opportunity to salvage what might have been their worst season in decades and turn it into a Cinderella story.

Maine will have to play very well to beat BU and prevent that Cinderella story from coming true.