Give me a break.  When tickets were sold the Monday before the game, they sold a LOT of tickets.  I don’t know the number but I’m sure that they could come up with a limited number that they would be sure to sell for every game.   Maybe it would only be a couple hundred, maybe only a hundred, but at least those of us out here would at least have a chance.  When I called the ticket office the only single game tickets for UNH, BU, BC etc. were “rival pack” tickets.   I really don’t want to spend the extra $ on a basketball rival pack for a game that I’m not going to drive for 3 hours to go to.

I agree that holding tickets till the night of the game is probably not the best way to sell out the arena.  Sell a hundred the Monday before the game and you’ll sell them all.   Come on, work with me on this.

Maine/BU coming up in less than 2 hours!

GO MAINE!!!   BEAT BU!!!!!

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 4:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: season tickets vs. noise

This year, attendance is up by an average of 661 per game, primarily because additional season ticket sales.   Assuming this trend continues, this will mean an additional $200,000 for the Athletic Department budget, which is very important for maintaining (1) the hockey program, and (2) the rest of the athletic programs.

I would be more sympathetic about the plight of non-season-ticket holders if single tickets weren't available.  However, even with the increased attendance this year, 5 of the 10 games that have been played at the Alfond so far have not been sold out.

Moreover, a quick check of the Ticket Office info on GoBlackBears.com indicates that tickets are available for six of the remaining eight home games, including both the Friday and Saturday night games against Alabama-Huntsville, Providence, and Boston College.  If you can't make it to the Alfond Arena ticket window during office hours (8:30 to 4 M-F, I believe), you can order the tickets on-line.

At this point, at least, single-game tickets are available, even for the series that could match Hockey East's top two teams on the last weekend of the regular season.

As other posters have noted, one of the benefits of season-ticket sales to the university is that once a season ticket is sold, the university gets the revenue for all of the games, whether or not the season-ticket holder shows up.  The same is true for single-game tickets that are sold in advance.  If tickets aren't sold in advance, then the university is at the mercy of the weather (some people won't go to a hockey game if it's too cold or snowy) and subject to the whims of prospective fans (the BC series would be a guaranteed sellout if the outcome determines the Hockey East title; if BC is five points ahead going into the series, some fans might stay home).

To sum up: if you want to buy single-game tickets, they're available.  If what you really want is for single-game tickets to be available for purchase on the night of the game, that's a luxury that the university can't afford.

Dave Wollstadt