So if its going to take years for them to be competitive, what difference does waiting a year make?... your only putting off the PWR hit for 1 year.  I think you either take on the program or you dont, you dont make them float as essentially an independent. Especially when this is a established program that has been a Div1 player longer than several schools in Hockey East have been (Merrimack/lowell/Maine??).  Vermont this year plays 7 HE teams so your really talking 2 games played against Vermont that you dont schedule Sacred Heart or Alabama Huntsville  (hardly a PWR hit comparitively).

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access — limited time only! Get dial-up Internet access now with our best offer: 6 months @$9.95/month!