There is a huge difference here. (unless I'm mistaken) UMass wasn't a DIV 1 program when they decided to build the mullins center and put the resources into DIV 1 Hockey.  The year they were a provisional member allowed them to get their feet wet and get some games under there belt before entering the conference on a full time basis.  While UVM is certainly in a down period, they are already an established Div 1 program.  I dont think it would be fair to UVM to have them leave the ECAC and not be a full member of Hockey East immediatly.

>From: nonni daly <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Vermont and Hockey East
>Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:41:40 -0500
>
>Hi All -- and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
>
>     Just a passing comment on Vermont's bid to join Hockey East.  I sincerely hope that the powers that be in Hockey East look on this exactly as they did when UMass Amherst asked to join back in the early 1990's.  UMA was given, first, a "provisional" year before they went to full status as a competitive team.  In that first year, if memory serves, they didn't play a complete full schedule against league teams and were not listed in the weekly rankings and were not eligible for post-season play.
>     If Vermont comes in as a full member and the league continues a three-game-per opponent schedule, the league schedule would increase from 24 to 27 games, giving each team three fewer games to schedule against outside opponents.  Since the NCAA allowable regular season is 34 games, only seven would remain to help the RPI for post-season rankings.
>     In addition, playing Vermont three times a year, initially, would do little or nothing to help the power ratings and all the league's teams would suffer -- especially those who are nearly perennial national contenders, like Maine, BC, UNH and BU.
>     So, this lady casts a vote for provisional status -- anyone else have a take on this?
>Nonni

Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work — and yourself.