My understanding of what I read today was that Steve was cut by the Canucks, which means that he is being sent back down to Manitoba, now of the AHL.
As for the waiver draft, you have to have played pro hockey for 3 years and not on the protected list to be available. Thus, prospects are not available, even if not on the list.

Here is the story from the Manitoba Moose site:
http://www.moosehockey.com/news/story.cfm?ID=28

Go Blue,
Andy