In a message dated 06/20/2000 12:23:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  If the essense [sic] of the teaching
 of Jesus of Nazareth is "Love your God with all your strength . . ." and
 "Love your neighbor as yourself", I would not say that such a teaching is at
 all incompatible with the production of wealth.  Such production should not
 be carried out by means of exploitation, or with a view toward creating
 greater disparity, and reinforcing power relationships that make human
 brotherhood more difficult.

but if the essence of teaching is to be found in the exemplar of the lived
experience of Jesus of Nazareth, then the production and accumulation of
wealth is incompatible.  I dare say that the image of Jesus driving the
moneylenders from the temple serves as a large exclamation point -- the point
being that the "production of wealth" (don't you just love these capitalist
euphemisms) has no place in the holy place of god.  further, to blithely add
a shibboleth against engaging in exploitation and power relationships while
accumulating wealth is disingenuous; any fair examination of the record of
the accumulation of wealth in any historical period shows that exploitation
and the creation of power relationships are fundamental to such accumulation.

jb....