  From: James Deboo
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 10:09 AM
  Subject: Re: "The Pound Era"

  I sense that this question may be unanswerable, but it occurs to me that in 'A Retrospect' in Literary Essays, Pound sets out his 'credo', suggesting again that he was deliberately, if facetiously, setting up a new 'Poetry-as-Religion' with himself as 'god', or at least demigod, a role he denounced later, in Canto CXVI; 'And I am not a demigod'.

  James.