----- Original Message -----
  From: Erik Bader
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 5:05 AM
  Subject: Two questions

  <<1.) Did Pound ever meet Binyon or correspond with him? And if so/not...is
  there any record of Binyons reaction to Pound's "Hell" essay? (reviewing
  Binyon's "Inferno")>>

  As I sit a hundred yards from Binyon's birthplace at 1 High St., Lancaster, I recall that in Stock's The Life of Ezra Pound, we are told that 'by the second week in February [1909] he had met Laurence Binyon', and that in March of the same year Binyon gave Pound a ticket to a lecture he was giving on 'Oriental and European Art'. They met again in London early in1914 at the Vienna Cafe.

  Much later, in 1934, Pound 'began a series of letters in which he assisted Lawrence Binyon with his verse translation of Dante'. This is the same year as the "Hell" essay, which was published in the Criterion in April. About the same time Pound wrote to Binyon to congratulate him on his translation and a correspondance began here, but I can't find anything about their correspondence after this date.

  Hope this helps.

  James Deboo.