james,
    you have to rid your mind of all that victor's war dept propaganda.

    actually, ep seems to have pretty much agreed with the hobson/lenin "imperialism" thesis on  ww1.   And his view of fascism and ww2
is rendered in the opening verses of lxxiv: "the enormous tragedy of the
dream in the peasant's bent shoulders...to build the city of dioce..."
using the xian allegory: here the plowman's "bullock" in place of
the shepherd's ass, ben in place of jesus, dioce for jerusalem, etc.
and as such he exults in the fascist effort, "the bang" against the restoration
of the ancien regime of money, rejecting eliot's "whimper"...nso on
as clearly he always loathed the reigning bourgeois dispensation
in america as england (probably the principal virtue of fascism
its not being bourgeois) and sought to live exclusively in
bohemian realms (which america of course conspicuously lacked)...
so he utterly lacked the bourgeois sense of national identity, and,
like the medieval singers of tales found  his home entirely in culture; as in:
                         ...(lxxxi) what thou lovest well remains,
                                      the rest is dross
                                      what thou lovest well is thy true heritage.
                                      whose world, or mine or theirs or is it none?
...anyway, with his art he could find "elysium in the halls of hell"

finally, as to why he surrrendered himself ...probably he was acting on
advice, as to the force of the practicality of his situation; but, one can't
miss drawing the parallel with the NT passion narative.

bob