UROCK Archives

Univ College Rockland Students

UROCK@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deborah Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:08:58 -0400
Greetings all!

* UC Rockland students are invited to UMA'S ANNUAL CONVOCATION on Sunday, October 19 at 2:00 PM in Jewett Auditorium on the Augusta campus. Convocation will include the formal installation of Dr. Allyson Hughes Handley as President of UMA. In keeping with UMA's academic theme for the year of environmental sustainability, there will also be a keynote address by Dr. Paul Mayewski, Director of the University of Maine's Climate Change Institute. Read more about the extraordinary career of Dr. Mayewski at: http://www.climatechange.umaine.edu/Directory/people/mayewski.html

* The James and Marilyn Rockefeller SCHOLARSHIP FUND provides college scholarships for Maine residents under the age of 35.  They are looking for applicants and their next deadline is December 1, 2008.  Applications are available at: www.mainecf.org

* STUDENT SUCCESS WORKSHOPS  will be offered this fall over ITV.  These are very well done with great tips and pointers and I urge you to take advantage of them.  They are free but we do ask that you sign up at the front desk.
What Did I Just Read?   Tuesday, September 30, 2:30 * 3:45PM
Cool Heads/Not Sweaty Palms*Getting Control of Math Anxiety Tuesday, September 23, 8:00 * 9:30AM
Listening to Learn -    Thursday, October 2, 2:30 * 3:45PM
Let Me Make a Note of That    Tuesday, October 7, 2:30 * 3:45PM
Making the Grade: Studying for the Test  Tuesday, October 14, 2:30 * 3:45PM

* Non-partisan VOTER REGISTRATION still continues at URock.  Cards are available at the entryway. Please fill them out and we will file them on your behalf.  The next general election is November 4th.

* Free TUTORING is available in math and English.  Ask for the contact information at the front desk and then you may schedule your own time to meet with the tutor. Remember to ask for help before you fall too far behind!

* We will establish a "UROCK BUDDY SYSTEM" this winter between our students and at-risk residents in the Rockland area.  The commitment is simple.  Volunteers will agree to a regularly scheduled phone call to ensure that the "buddy" (mostly elderly or disabled) is healthy and safe. When problems are detected, there will be a central contact number for referrals. This is a terrific opportunity for an important community service as we approach a tough winter. Please express your interest in being a buddy to the front desk and we will provide you with more information on the program.

Take care -

Deborah Meehan, Director
University College at Rockland
91 Camden Street, Suite 402