UROCK Archives

Univ College Rockland Students

UROCK@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deborah Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:15:42 -0500
*  We have just received a booklet of scholarship opportunities from the UMA campus.  Many opportunities are listed and students decide which scholarships to apply for.  The form must be returned to the Financial Aid office at UMA by March 21st.  Just leave the completed form with us and we'll get it to campus for you.

*  On Wednesday, February 20th, Eaton Mountain Ski Area in Skowhegan will host a UMA $1 Day.  From 3:00-7:00PM, any URock student may go to the mountain and present a school ID to receive a lift ticket or tubing ticket of choice for $1.  Great deal!

*  The MMR immunization clinic is still scheduled for Thursday, February 14th, at 11:00AM at URock.  So far, fifteen students have signed on.  Remember that if finances are an issue please speak to staff and we'll see what we can do.  Bring checks or cash ($60) for payment on that day.

*  On Monday, February 25th, at 7:00PM, the HUS 130 class, Developmental Disabilities, will host Bill Nye of the Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.  Using a Sign Language Interpreter, Mr. Nye will discuss the barriers and successes of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.  Open to all.

*  We have set the date for the local URock graduation celebration to be Sunday, May 4th at 2:00PM.  Our guest speaker will be Kate Braestrup whose memoir, Here If You Need Me, retells the story of the sudden death of her husband (local State Trooper, Drew Braestrup) and her life and recovery as the single mom of 4 young children.   Her book has stirred rave national reviews.  Kate is a wonderful and inspiring speaker and we're very honored that she will be our guest.

*  Next week many of the campuses are having the winter break.  Therefore, our office hours will be somewhat reduced .  Please check with us if you have questions.

*  Tracy Camber will be starting a Peer Networking Group at URock which will be open to all students.  The intent is to provide a safe and comfortable forum for students to talk together about issues of balancing school and work and family and all the challenges of that mix!   Tracy's kindness and great sense of humor will set the tone for this group.  The intro meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 26th, at 10:00AM and/or 4:00PM in the student lounge.

Deborah Meehan, Director
University College at Rockland
91 Camden Street, Suite 402
Rockland, ME 04841