NETANN-L Archives

- NETANN-L - Networkmaine Network Announcement List

NETANN-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Irelann Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- NETANN-L - Networkmaine Network Announcement List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2019 08:31:53 -0400
If you send mail using an @maine.edu address and you are not using either
our internal email relays,  Gmail, or Blackboard this change will affect
you.

Forging of maine.edu email addresses for purposes of spam or phishing has
continued to increase.   This has become such a problem around the internet
that many organizations are requiring that senders publish lists of valid
sources of mail for their email domains.   If these lists are not published
the mail is likely to be marked as suspicious, spam or rejected outright.

The University publishes such a list which explicitly authorizes Gmail,
Blackboard and our internal mail relays.  However this list says in
essence, these are the valid sources, but others are OK.   We are going to
have to change this to flag others as suspicious.

What this means is that if you send mail from other than gmail, Blackboard
or through our mail relays using @maine.edu addresses, your mail is likely
to be flagged as suspicious or spam.

Our intent is to put this into effect starting on Wednesday March 27th.
 After that date, if you get reports of legitimate email being flagged as
suspicious or spam, post a service desk issue to the sysadmin queue and we
will do what we can to help.

The following link may be useful for administrative bulk mail senders:

https://gojira.its.maine.edu/confluence/display/MAIL/Notes+on+Administrative+Bulk+E-mail

For those interested in more details about this change:

https://gojira.its.maine.edu/confluence/display/MAIL/Tightening+up+SPF+for+maine.edu

Please share this email with those you think might be affected or might
handle problem reports related to this.

--
Irelann Kerry Anderson          phone:    (207)581-3508
Systems and Operations