NETANN-L Archives

- NETANN-L - Networkmaine Network Announcement List

NETANN-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jeffrey Letourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- NETANN-L - UNET Technology Services Network Announcement List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:06:02 -0400
As of about 8:40pm the modem pools are once again completely operational.
People who do NOT use a dial-up script have been able to dial-in since
approximately 6:30.
We were able to allow people doing straight PPP or terminal sessions into
the modem pools by turning off the authentication requirement while we
worked on getting everything running again.

However, turning off authentication removes the "Username:" prompt that
appears upon connection.  Without that prompt, the dial-up scripts just sit
in a wait state. So, those people whostill use the scripts were not able to
use the modem pools until about 8:40pm unless they knew enough to disable
the script (highly unlikely).

We apologize for the inconvenience this database failure has caused.  We
will be implementing greater redundancy in our systems to avoid such
failures in the future.

Jeff Letourneau