NETANN-L Archives

- NETANN-L - Networkmaine Network Announcement List

NETANN-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Irelann Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- NETANN-L - UNET Network Announcement List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:27:00 -0400
Recently a spammer exploited a security hole in the version of Horde we run
for UMS web mail.   The hole allowed them to forge the From: line.

The version of Horde we run (1.0.8) was released last Fall and is no longer
considered a supported version and there have been a number of security
fixes made to Horde since then.  This means that to bring Horde up to date
with known security fixes we need to upgrade to a new level.   For this
reason, we are upgrading to Horde-Webmail 1.1.6.

Normally we run both new and old versions in parallel for a period of time
to shake out any bugs in the new version.  Unfortunately, the changes
between these versions are large enough that we cannot make them use the
same database.    Since this new version fixes known security issues, we
need to get it in place as soon as possible.

Horde will be upgraded this coming Sunday morning (November 1st).

Most of the changes are internal or cosmetic and will hopefully not cause
problems for our users.

Also note that since this is UMS Horde webmail, it does not affect students
or retirees since they have all been moved to Google mail or anyone who uses
a mail client like Thunderbird, Pegasus, Eudora or Outlook.

So that you can take a look at this new version ahead of time, we have it
running with a converted COPY of the Horde database:

  https://mail1.maine.edu/horde-webmail-1.1.6

Please note:  Any changes you make to Calendar, Notes, Filters, Tasks,
preferences, etc using this new version prior to Sunday morning. will be
lost when we re-copy and convert the database Sunday morning.

--
Irelann Kerry Anderson          phone:    (207)561-3508
Systems and Operations