From:
"Ladd,Molly" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ladd,Molly
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 18:53:34 +0000
Hello awesome librarians,

The South Portland Public Library is in the midst of our first ever Lines for Fines collection to celebrate National Poetry Month! Patrons can submit original poems until the end of the month in lieu of paying overdue fines. This idea was cooked up by one of our staff members, who had seen a café giving away free coffee in exchange for poems, and thought it would be a great thing to try here at the library. Thus, the brilliantly-named Lines for Fines was created.  It has been well received and appreciated by our patrons. Parents are loving the opportunity to work with their children on poems, and adults are enjoying the exposure their poetry is getting (all submissions are being displayed for the public to peruse).

As staff members, we are enjoying both the creative submissions and the supportive and joyful response from our patrons and community.  It’s been a very positive experience, so we thought we’d share some of the fun with you all:

To learn more about how Lines for Fines works logistically, visit our website: http://southportlandlibrary.com/lines-for-fines/

To see an INCREDIBLE poem written by one of our 5th graders, check out the top post on our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/South.Portland.Public.Library/

And to celebrate how much our patrons appreciate our state-wide ILL service, I’ll leave you with a few short pieces written by an adult patron (shared here with her permission):

Interlibrary Loans (Haikus)
By Kate Woodbury

Why be limited
When catalogs beckon,
“Read this—this—and this!”

Worldcat, Amazon:
Tempting titles whisper,
“You’ll find the time.”

Minerva, MaineCat.
Presque Isle, Auburn, Scarborough.
Watch the truck zoom by.

Happy Earth Day,
Molly

Molly Ladd
Teen Librarian and Publicity Coordinator
South Portland Public Library

NOTICE: Under Maine’s Freedom of Access (“Right-to-Know”) law, documents - including e-mail - in the possession of public officials about City business are classified as public records. This means if anyone asks to see it, we are required to provide it. There are very few exceptions. We welcome citizen comments and want to hear from our residents, but please keep in mind that what you write in an e-mail is not private and could show up in the local newspaper.