From:
BHML Librarian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BHML Librarian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2018 15:43:32 -0500
We are poised to clean out our library for our renovation project and I am
taking the opportunity to do some massive purging of collected "stuff" in
our backroom and attic. One area that has become catch-all is our "Does not
Circulate" shelves in our back room. I cannot quite understand what the
criteria is for this area and none of our Trustees can either. It seems to
exist to save at least one copy of any book published by a member of our
town, summer or YR resident, famous or self published (we have everything
from Julia Child and Ruth Moore to self published chap books) There are
also lots of copies of cool, old books about Mount Desert Island and Maine,
and cool old books that have nothing to do with Maine at all. We also have
town reports since the 1800's. I feel this area would do much better with a
collection policy attached to it and am curious what other libraries did.
If you have guideline for what goes in this section, would you please share
them with me?

Thank you!

-- Lisa
Lisa Taplin Murray, Director