From:
Sonya Durney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sonya Durney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:27:42 -0500
Good afternoon,

THANK YOU everyone who responded to my question on lending eReaders. Many
of you expressed interest in what I heard back from folks.

Here is what others shared:

*Lending E-Readers*

*Maine State Library*

Helpful links:

   - See links for eReader device
comparisons<http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/tech/ereads/index.shtml>
   - Sample user agreement for borrowing an
ereader<http://library.strathamnh.gov/Pages/StrathamLibrary_Resources/nookuseragreement.pdf>
    [pdf]; Word version
agreement<http://www.maine.gov/msl/mrls/policies/borrow_sample.doc>
   - Portland Public Lending Program
guidelines<http://www.maine.gov/msl/mrls/policies/eread/lending.doc>
   - Mentor Public library
Guidelines<http://www.mentorpl.org/pdfs/Electronic%20Device%20Circ%20Guidelines.pdf>
   ; Mentor Public Library
agreement<http://www.mentorpl.org/pdfs/Electronic%20Device%20Circ%20Agreement.pdf>
    [Ohio]
   - See school agreements,
policies,<http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/schools/index.shtml> handbook
   statements, parental waivers
   - Ereader Loan Program - FAQs <http://view.fdu.edu/default.aspx?id=7467>
   - Library Card and
Borrowing<http://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/services/library.card.shtml>
-
   See Loan Policy and Item Limits
   - Getting Started with E-book Readers:
   http://www.maine.gov/msl/topics/index.shtml

*Portland Public Library *

Portland Public Library

1. Are you lending them? If so, what device did you choose and why did you
choose it?

PPL has 25 Nooks in circulation, spread out between adult, teen, and
children’s’. The Nook was chosen as numerous devices are able to share the
same titles, and it was our preferred model at the time.

2. Do the devices come pre-loaded or do patrons choose books from the Maine
Infonet Download Library?

The Nooks are preloaded with popular materials for the demographic they
serve.

3. What security measures are you taking to ensure that the devices are
returned? Deposits?

Since they have been on hold since we started the program, we keep them
behind the desk. On those occasions when there are no holds, we still keep them
behind the Lending desk prominently displayed. Except for having the
account information password protected, we have no other security measures,
aside from placing them in a zipper bag with all of the components.

4. What are your borrowing policies? Same length as books? Renewals?

Nooks are lent out for the same period as books. Renewals are allowed if
there are not holds. Currently they are still popular, though demand has
been tapering.

*South Berwick Public Library *(Karen Eger)

1. Are you lending them? If so, what device did you choose and why did you
choose it?

We are lending NOOKs and someone else chose them.   I would get one of each
next time for us to have varied experience and to have a device that will
convert to audio.

2. Do the devices come pre-loaded or do patrons choose books from the Maine
Infonet Download Library?

We add the titles.

3. What security measures are you taking to ensure that the devices are
returned? Deposits?

We are taking our chances and currently have one that is 3 months overdue
and the Police Dept. is assisting in getting it returned.  Hard to live with
that expensive device overdue!

4. What are your borrowing policies? Same length as books? Renewals?

I said no renewals but find I have backed off and we do the same as a book.

5. Anything else that has worked/not worked that you are willing to share?

I have found one great use is for when a patron comes in and wants a book
right away that I would be willing to buy, I purchase it and they go out the
door happy.  The devices are not in huge demand and some people refuse the
digital copy altogether.

*McArthur Public Library *(Jackie Sleahy)

1. Are you lending them? If so, what device did you choose and why did you

choose it?  WE'VE ADDED 4 KINDLES AND 3 NOOKS TO OUR COLLECTION, TRYING TO
PROVIDE A CHOICE FOR FOLKS TO TRY OUT IF THEY'RE THINKING OF BUYING ONE FOR
THEMSELVES.  (WE BOUGHT THE LEAST EXPENSIVE MODELS, IE NOOK TOUCH, ETC.)

2. Do the devices come pre-loaded or do patrons choose books from the Maine

Infonet Download Library?  WE HAVE PURCHASED BOOKS TO DOWNLOAD, PRIMARILY
BEST SELLERS AND BOOKS WITH LONG WAITING LISTS.

3. What security measures are you taking to ensure that the devices are
returned?

WE OPTED NOT TO REQUIRE A DEPOSIT, AND HAVE NOT BEEN BURNED SO FAR.  ONE
DEVICE WAS RUINED BY A DOG, BUT THE PATRON REIMBURSED US, NO PROBLEM.  ONE
CONSIDERATION IS TO DE-REGISTER THEM BEFORE THEY CIRCULATE SO PEOPLE CAN'T
CHANGE THE SELECTION.

4. What are your borrowing policies? Same length as books? Renewals?  SAME
AS BOOKS, THIS IS 3 WEEKS FOR US.  GENERALLY THEY HAVE RESERVES PLACED ON
THEM, SO THEY CAN'T BE RENEWED; BUT IF THEY DIDN'T THEY COULD.

5. Anything else that has worked/not worked that you are willing to share?
PACKAGING THEM IS IMPORTANT.  WE'VE GOT THEM IN E-READER CASES, AND THEN
PUT THEM IN PADDED LITTLE CARRIERS WITH A LUGGAGE TAG.  WE INCLUDE THE USB
CABLE TO RE-CHARGE WITH A COMPUTER.

*Curtis Memorial Library *(Paul Dostie)
1. Are you lending them? If so, what device did you choose and why did you
choose it?

We lend them. We've been lending since the first $400 Kindle.  We currently
lend 4 Kindles, 3 Sony Readers (4th was stolen), 5 Nooks of various
generations and 5 Nook Colors (2 with Finance titles, 1 Cornerstones of
Science, 2 with children's titles). We chose most of them last year when
they were still relatively new so that patrons could test-drive types
before purchasing. These days they serve as extra copies of high demand
titles.
Kindles are what patron's want and so we have some. My own preference is
for devices that are more democratic. Sony will accept all epub books as
will Kobo (I own one of each and like them). Nook will accept epubs from
other vendors but Nook books can't be read on other devices.

2. Do the devices come pre-loaded or do patrons choose books from the Maine
Infonet Download Library?

We preload titles from among the best seller and occasionally will download
a requested title that isn't available in large print. We discourage
patrons from downloading Maine Infonet titles to our devices because ADE
must register the device to the patron's ADE account. Titles get left on
and it's generally a mess to straighten out.

3. What security measures are you taking to ensure that the devices are
returned? Deposits?

We lend only to Curtis patrons who have a valid driver's license and have a
Curtis card in good standing.  We define "good standing" as having no
fines.  We have learned the hard way that we should also add to that
definition that the patron have had a card for a minimum of three months. A
while back a lady obtained a card to go shopping. In fifteen minutes, she
maxed out on a number of new best sellers as well as a Sony Reader with 78
titles on it.
We ask for driver's license primarily because 14 year-olds don't drive. I'd
also stipulate that only one ereader at a time be checked out.
As a security precaution, keep track of the device serial numbers in case
you need to call the vendor to disable a stolen/unreturned device. This is
another thing I learned the hard way. Because I didn't record the number of
our Sony Reader that was stolen, it still counts in the number of devices
we have. Sony limits the number of devices per account to six. In our case,
we can now only activate five.
,,

4. What are your borrowing policies? Same length as books? Renewals?

Our lending policy is generally the same as for books; three weeks and one
renewal if there are no reserves on the reader.

5. Anything else that has worked/not worked that you are willing to share?

Our experience has been mostly positive. We promote our devices as outreach
tools because of the font control. Below is our lending agreement.**

*Curtis Memorial Library e-Reader Borrowing Agreement*

Name (please print):
       Library Card No:_____________________

Liability Statement:

• I understand that the loan period is 3 weeks with one renewal should no
other borrower request the e-reader.

• I accept full responsibility for the e-reader and accessories while
checked out to me.

• I understand that I may not delete anything from, nor download anything
to the e-reader.

• I understand that I am liable for repair costs if the e-reader is
returned damaged.

• I understand that I am liable for replacement costs (outlined below) if
the e-reader is lost or stolen while checked out to me.

• I understand that any costs incurred will be added to my library record
and that they will constitute a debt owed to the Curtis Memorial Library
and must be paid in full.

LATE FEES ARE $5.00 PER DAY
Replacement Costs:
              e-Reader:    $ 149.00
              Protective cover:  $19.00
              Power adapter:  $15.00

Borrower Signature*:

* *To be signed in front of Curtis staff member*

Maine State Driver’s License  No.:

      e-Reader No.:

*
*

*RSU #2 Hall-Dale *(Jody Bachelder)

We bought 3 Nooks with a grant about 3 years ago, and it's worked out just
fine.  We have a permission form that students must take home to their
parents and get their signature agreeing to replace the device if it gets
broken or lost.  We've only had one break so far, and the parents didn't
quibble about the replacement.

We check it out for 2 weeks, and it can be renewed if there's no waiting
list.  Our biggest customers here are the middle school students; high
school kids just aren't that interested.  The ones who are have devices of
their own, I guess.

We purchased a bunch of books initially with our grant money, and one of
the reasons we chose the Nooks is because whatever you purchase can be
shared among 6 devices.  So it makes the money go a little further, and it
would be nice for book clubs.

We also recommend that students pick a book from the Download Library.
 Most people try out the Nooks once, and then they're done.  We always get
a flurry of interest at the beginning of the year from our new crop of 6th
graders, and now 2 of the Nooks are sitting on the shelf.  It may be
different with adults.

Unfortunately right after we started purchasing them, Barnes & Noble
decided to stop offering the warrantee to libraries.  We purchased covers
(essential) but I would like to find some kind of hard case to put them in.
 Haven't found the right size yet.  Our kids are shoving them into
backpacks and they've been remarkably sturdy, but a hard case would be even
more protection.

*Again, thank you everyone!*
--
*Sonya Durney