Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:29:34 -0500
Sender: Maine Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From: Andy Ryer <[log in to unmask]>
Hello. This email is to alert you to a unique new program at Thomas
Memorial Library which will be taking place this *Thursday, January 20th at
6:30pm. *Join us for: *The Art of Sound: Recordings on the Coast of Maine*
*!*

*Sound artist Dianne Ballon <https://www.dianneballonsound.com/> has been
working in sound for over thirty-five years. In 2021, she was awarded a
Maine Artist Fellowship from the Maine Arts Commission for her work. In
lieu of returning to the Arctic where she has recorded sound in the past,
the award and the limitations imposed by the pandemic gave her the
opportunity to focus on her coastal sound series at home, on the coast of
Maine.*

*Of her coastal sound series, she writes, “The series includes my Boats
Creaking at a Dock in Iceland, recorded in a tiny harbor in the
northwestern fjords of Iceland. Each harbor has its own distinct sound.
Rocked by the motion of water, the pull of the tide, and a variable touch
of wind, the boats create a mesmerizing series of sounds. The sounds are
introspective: both sharp and smooth, quiet and busy, rhythmic yet
random and achingly beautiful.”*

*In this presentation, Dianne will introduce listeners to the beauty and
the richness of sound through the sound work she has recorded over the past
fellowship year. She will share the stories behind the sounds, including
the difficulties of field recording and the discovery of a “lost” sound.
Join us for a fascinating evening that will be unlike any you’ve ever heard
before!*

This event is free and open to all. Registration is required so that we can
send you a Zoom link to join. You can register here:
https://www.thomasmemoriallibrary.org/the-art-of-sound/.

We encourage you to sign up for this program and to please help us spread
the word about it to anyone you know who may be interested. Thanks for your
help with this and we hope to see you on Thursday night. Stay safe, be well
and have a wonderful day.

--
Andrew J. Ryer
Community Engagement Manager