Rosemary Bebris <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 May 2022 15:28:22 +0000
Good morning,

Walker ML (Westbrook) also received requests for Bidet this weekend from multiple organizations in Maine, also with what would be the "correct" contact information and a barcode of 23333210210210.

Happy Monday!
Rose

-----Original Message-----
From: Maine Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Jean Pauly
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 11:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MELIBS-L] Questionable Book Requests

We've gotten a couple of questionable Book Requests through our website form in the past few weeks.The first request was for a book called Bidet, and the second was for a book about Covid.  In the comments of both requests they mention that Covid cases in Maine are "skyrocketing."  The contact information varies.  One claimed to be from the "Maine Hospice Association," and the other claimed to be "Masjid Omar Al-Farooq," (which is a mosque in Canada).  The contact information was correct for each organization, down to the phone number.  An interesting tidbit is that they consistently list their library barcode as 23333210210210 (which is not in our system.) Before we noticed the trend, I responded to the first request (basically asking for more information.) and Maine Hospice just called back to let us know that it was definitely not from them.

I guess this is just a heads up- if you find you are getting suspicious requests, do a little research to confirm legitimacy.  I don't know why anyone would do this; has anyone else noticed this happening?

Jean

Jean Frances Pauly
she/her
Circulation Assistant