From:
Alexis Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alexis Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2019 11:11:08 -0400
Hi all,

For those of you interested in what the answers were that I received to my
previous question, keep reading.

My Question: ">We are considering Opting In at our local library and are
curious what
>other libraries are considering? I have already seen the FAQ page. I'm
>working on compiling a list of additional pros to provide to our Town
>Council, etc. If people wouldn't mind sharing off-list, I would appreciate
>it."

The Responses:
First let me say, *we are hoping to opt-in*. Our only (possible) dilemma is
to convince our Town Council, etc. We *were looking for a list of reasons
to sway our Town Manager and Town Council* to the many benefits of the
reciprocal borrowing program.

Many replies I got were talking about how this is exactly the same as using
ILL via the van delivery. One person asked me a couple of questions: "Do we
make a significant amount of money from non-resident cards" and "think
about the impact on our library users". (I created a list in Sierra of our
non-resident patrons to determine how much of a potential impact there is
for our revenue, something I think would be helpful to those of you trying
to assess the same thing.)

Another response was, "the pilot is only for one year, with no obligation
to continue if, say, nonresident fees drop too much", and "I don't think
it's necessary to bring it up to my town council for the pilot project. It
really is the same as the requesting that we do now, without the paging
slips, packing (& unpacking), and travel time for the delivery". Another
person said it will save people from waiting for some items via van
delivery if they're close enough they can go in person, and it will help
people from carrying around 5 library cards in their wallets.

Someone summed it up nicely, *"Although I recognize there might be fall-off
of non-resident cards, I think the potential for service to our patrons far
outweighs this consideration"*.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Alexis

Alexis M. Dixon
Circulation Manager
Orono Public Library
39 Pine Street
Orono, ME 04473
(207) 866-5060 ext.3
http://library.orono.org/overview

*A reasonable effort will be made to respond to all emails received in a
timely manner though the most expedient communication would be through our
Town phone number. Please note that all emails sent from or coming to this
address are considered a public document and are subject to the State of
Maine Freedom of Access of Law.*

--
_Please note that email sent from or coming to this address may be
considered a public document and be subject to the State of Maine Freedom