Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:34:21 -0400
Yeah, I empathize here. To agree with Janet, if they are going to take
such measures for screening what is appropriate, I'd like to think that
there are very specific standards established, and that are mutually
agreed upon. No nonsense where, "oh, now this person is the head and
they don't like...", or "my interpretation of this is...".

No gray area: No nudity, no descriptions of intimate moments, no
language stemming from the four letter words outlined here..., no
graphic violence depicting mass bloodshed...and an age/grade limit. At
some point, sheltering a child too much can be harmful (kids will direly
need to learn that they are normal if they differ in any way from
others, and will need to learn history as it happened). The upshot: the
outlined four letter words will effectively make the policy a much more
riveting read than anything in the collection.

I think it all hinges on empathy. Human rights which includes parental
rights, child protection, and freedom of information, must all be
equally weighted. Do no harm is the baseline that cannot be crossed.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't
chew it." - Mark Twain (Kindly consider 'person' and 'they' as
appropriate in the quote as it is the 21st century, and anyone can vote
and hold estates now).

Chip

On 2022-04-29 12:56, Racheal L. Sylvester wrote:

> Hello Janet,
>
> I think you make a lot of good points about where parents are coming  from and it does make sense where their feelings of frustrations come  from.  I agree parents  should be able to have a say in their  children's education and access to materials.  The issue that arises i  feel is when they start saying that no children should have access or  be taught something which then infringes on the boundaries that a  different parent may have.  I know when I was in school you could have  a parent opt you out of a particular lesson if it was something that  could be controversial or a difficult subject.  America is a nation of  choices and options and we always seem to get into a pickle somewhere  with how many and who do we offer them to.  We're still a young nation  and with an ever changing population with new ideas and expectations  and we may never find the right balance.  Hopefully we can continue to  grow and progress and maybe one day we'll be able to find a spot that  wor!
 ks well
enough. Thank you for your views and I hope this message  finds you well,

> -Sincerely,
>
> Racheal Sylvester
> Outreach Coordinator
> Bridgton Public Library
>
> Quoting Janet Wilson <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> These are scary times, and yes, intellectual freedom is under attack  from many directions. However, I always look at things slightly  differently when it involves children. I know very few people who  think that children should have access to all materials which are  available. Even most librarians (who strongly support the freedom to  read) would have a problem with a school making Playboy Magazine  available to their students. And there is not a clear line between  "acceptable" materials and "unacceptable" materials. It is on a  continuum, but pretty much everyone draws a line somewhere. The  question is, "Who gets to decide where that line is and what is  appropriate for children to read?" I have not looked into what  materials are in question in Tennessee (and am not suggesting that I  think having the legislature approve reading materials is a good  solution). However, it is my opinion that parents (who generally  care more about their own children than anyone else d!
 oes)
should  have a lot of say in what their children read and are taught. And,  it seems to be more frequently the case that parents have been shut  out of this decision in schools. I think what we are seeing is  parents' frustrations boiling over from lack of respect for each of  their standards for their own children.

> Just another perspective... (and I am sorry for the uproar I am  likely to provoke with this),
>
> Janet Wilson
>
> Quoting Pamela Dunning <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> Absolutely outrageous! Are troglodytes running the country? I have recently
> encouraged the Wiscasset Library Board of Trustees to make adopting the ALA
> Freedom to Read statement an annual duty. This will reinforce our stand on
> censorship as new members come on the Board.
> Pam Dunning, Wiscasset
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 10:55 AM Mamie Anthoine Ney <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> It's getting more scary all the time for more than just book burning:
>
> Tennessee Lawmaker Suggests Burning Banned Books (bookriot.com)
> <https://bookriot.com/tennessee-book-ban-bill/>
>
> Best,
> Mamie
>
> Auburn Public Library
>
> 49 Spring St.
>
> Auburn, ME 04210
>
> 207.333.6640 x 2020

> www.auburnpubliclibrary.org [1]
> "The public library is where place and possibility meet."
> ― Stuart Dybek
>
> --
> Pamela Dunning, Director
> Wiscasset Public Library