From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:53:15 +0000
Kristi and MELIBS,
The video conferencing hubs have been hosting legal information clinics at their libraries. We have been archiving the legal information clinics and are working on editing them so they are more useful.

This spring, the Volunteer Lawyers Project will begin work to set up one-to-one meetings between lawyers and eligible low income Maine citizens in libraries using desktop video conferencing. We will hold an informational webinar and post info on MELIBS about how your library can participate.

There will also be an effort to bring as many lawyers as possible into libraries on May 1 for Law Day.
We will be posting information about that as we receive more details from the Access to Justice Group about how libraries can participate that day.

Next Tuesday, January 22, at 6 pm there will be a legal clinic hosted by Portland Public Library on Veteran's Benefits. The following will be covered by the presenter:
Have you or a family member served in military?
You or your family member may be eligible for disability compensation or pension benefits from the Veterans Administration.
Have you applied for compensation and been denied or still waiting to hear from the VA?
Seventy percent of claims are approved or reconsidered if you appeal.

Anyone can participate at the libraries listed below on January 22, 2013 at 6pm to get general veterans benefits questions answered by experienced Veterans benefits attorney Francis Jackson.  Francis Jackson brought and won his first case to the Federal Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims in 1992 and has been advocating for veterans from across the country ever since. Francis will be answering general questions live across video feed about types of benefits, eligibility and how to start the appeal process.

Portland Public Library - Host Library - Live presentation
	Sites broadcasting via video conferencing
	Cary Library
	Skowhegan Public Library
	Bangor Public Library
	Maine State Library