Cathrina Skov <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 10:45:23 -0500
I agree, and I think, too, that instead of seeing quiet as stuffy and
old-fashioned, we should see providing quiet as a service that libraries can
offer.

Cathrina Skov
Waldoboro Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: Maine Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Elizabeth Tarasevich
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MELIBS-L] FWIW - Shared without comment

I appreciate the piece, and the sentiment on behalf of the Pew poll-takers,
and I think public libraries need to offer all types of spaces. I rather
doubt the preference breaks into distinct camps - instead, I imagine, there
are days when a typical library user needs a quiet space and other days when
they need a public meeting spot, a commons where they can meet, greet,
collaborate.  So, likely, this a question for library design more than
anything, but most librarians need to work with what they've got - and
should, in my opinion do everything they can to meet all the demands on
space - for all ages.  It can be a difficult balance.

ET