Julie Forbus <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 May 2022 16:16:50 -0400
Hello all,

If you are like me, you are starting to field a lot of questions about
the state checks that most of the residents of Maine are expecting to
receive, specifically, questions from retired people and others who
don't file income tax returns.

Here's what I sent to the email provided for Somerset County on CashMaine:

Here at Madison Public Library we are getting a lot of questions
concerning the $850 state check that is being given to many Maine
residents.

The website states that a Maine tax return must be filed, as well as
another form that some people file to get the rent refund/tax fairness
credit.

Here are our questions:

What forms need to be filed? And do they need to be filled out completely?

Does proof of income need to be provided? If so, what counts as proof
of income for people who don't get W-2s?

Can this be completed online? If not, should the paperwork be sent to
the same address provided on the tax form for people expecting a refund?

Thank you in advance for the information. Retirees and other
low-income individuals deserve to receive this benefit. I am simply
trying to discern just how they go about doing so.

I haven't heard back from them yet, and thought it was worth a try to
see if anyone in library listservland has the answers to any of these
questions.

You would think the process would be easier to figure out; I consider
myself fairly well-versed in traversing the internet and I am stumped.

Please reply off-list, and thanks,

Julie
Madison Public