22 to 24 hours a week. Starting pay rate $14.50 to 15.00 an hour. Pay rate
adjustment may be made after 6 month probationary period.
Resumes can be:
Faxed to 207-882-6698
Emailed to wpl@wiscasset,lib.me.us <mailto:wpl@wiscasset,lib.me.us>
Mailed to 21 High Street, Wiscasset, Maine 04578
Or hand delivered.
Library Type: Public
Summary of responsibilities:
Interacts directly with library users at the circulation and reference
desks, performing a variety of professional and clerical tasks.
Assistant Library Director and Library Director.
Ability to give friendly, expert information and reference service to
patrons of all ages and walks of life. Possesses sound judgment, initiative,
tact and courtesy and can communicate effectively with patrons and staff.
Knowledge of library principals, methods, techniques, procedures and reader
interests. Pays attention to detail and has the ability to work as a team
with a small staff, changing jobs and focus to best meet the needs of the
College education required or any equivalent combination of experience and
training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must
be able to work evenings and Saturdays.
Characteristic duties and responsibilities:
* Maintains good relations with public, staff, and volunteers.
* Greets, assists, and refers library users according to their needs
and performs a wide range of clerical public contact duties.
* Uses library automated circulation system to lend materials to
library users including checking materials in and out, processing holds,
registering borrowers, collecting fees, informing patrons of the status of
their accounts, and conveying information about library policy.
* Opens and closes library building.
* Instruct patrons needing help on library computers.
* Processes overdue books, contacting and billing patrons and
* Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
* Assists patrons using library equipment, performing basic
maintenance on copiers and computers.
* Handles Interlibrary Loan requests.
Reference and Reader's Advisory:
* Answers reference questions and conducts research as needed
* Assists patrons on the selection and interpretation of library
* Selects and delivers books to homebound patrons.
* Library website management along with the Library Director
Assists with the Library Collection:
* Participates in material selection by reading and evaluating,
reviews, patron requests and popular trends.
* Makes recommendations for improvements in services and collection.
* Catalogs and processes new books.
* Selects and processes books for rotating collections and displays.
* Processes, rotates and withdraws periodical materials.
* Shelves, reads and organizes materials collection.
* Weeds and withdraws material from the collection.
* Repairs books.
Assists with Library Program:
* Schedules, plans and conducts programs and events for patrons and
* Collects and compiles library usage statistics.
* Conducts education and training of patrons and patron groups.
* Creates and maintains displays and bibliographies, writes
newsletters, brochures and book reviews.
* Decorates facility.
* Attends workshops, meetings and conferences as appropriate.
* Ability to use a variety of modern office and audio-visual
* Performs additional duties as assigned.
This position requires knowledge of current library practices and procedures
as related to library technology needs and reference service. Must have the
ability to be trained, and in turn, train others in the various
technological advances in library services. The person in this position must
be able to deal with public tactfully in a pleasant and professional manner,
must be a team player and maintain good working relationships with other
employees, the Library Board of Trustees, volunteers and the general public.
(Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through,
BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience).
A Bachelors Degree in Library Science and two (2) years experience in
professional library work -OR- an acceptable equivalent combination of
related experience and/or training.
* Familiarity with MILs library software and/or other library software
* Flexibility of motion. Position requires ability to lift and move
equipment and library materials around as well as lots of getting up and
down to assist patrons.
* Dependent on the qualification levels, additional online course work
toward Maine State Library Voluntary Certification may be required within
six (6) months of hire.
Pam Dunning, Director
Wiscasset Public Library
21 High Street
Wiscasset, ME 04578