From:
Jennifer Gaenzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2021 17:31:16 -0500
Another opinion piece, but again not a study on fomite transmission.

Quotes of importance are..."we suggest" but doesn't provide convincing proof or studies, only case scenarios.

They also say too..." It should be noted that all aforementioned studies suggest that sustained fomite transmission is possible"..."multiple studies have shown that it remains viable on both porous and nonporous surfaces for time periods ranging from hours to days. Although these studies were not designed to definitively prove fomite transmission, they do suggest that it is a possibility."..." it is our hope that this furthers the conversation and continues to encourage continued operational posture while employing proven practices such as social distancing, masking, and sanitizing. It is our belief that there is a need for further experimental research to determine the role, if any, that fomite spread plays in the transmission of SARS-CoV-2"

And again, this opinion piece was produced before the more easily transmissible variants appeared. There have been NO studies on the new variants, which I believe now at 3 new variants, and their life on surfaces.

It does make sense to keep cleaning, because what have we really lost by extra cleaning? What harm does it do to be extra careful? Nothing, so why wouldn't we?

But what harm can happen if we don't and find out later we were wrong? We give the virus more opportunities to mutate, spread, infect and kill.

The old shoulda, coulda, woulda comes to mind...well we can!

Jennifer Gaenzle

Fort Fairfield Public Library Director

339 Main Street

Fort Fairfield, ME 04742

Website and Card Catalog โ€“ fortfairfieldlibrary.org