Louise Capizzo <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Oct 2014 14:22:33 +0000
Hello Sarah,
When I worked at the Falmouth Memorial Library, we did shelve series books separately from the Jfiction collection. It made it easier for parents and children to find the title. I didn't see that it affected readers selecting books from the regular fiction section. Children and parents moved from one area to the next with ease. It was just a great way to keep the series all in one spot and it allowed all the titles that might be written by different authors (I'm thinking 39 Clues) to be bundled together.

Louise

Louise Capizzo, MLS
Youth Services Librarian
Scarborough Public Library
48 Gorham Road
Scarborough, ME 04074
(207)396-6278

From: Maine Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol McFadden
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 2:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MELIBS-L] Shelving juvenile series separately

Hi Sarah,

Love the idea BUT... I used to shelve children's series separately, at a former library, but ran out of space and found it really hard to keep shifting around, weeding out the "not-so-popular" series. I suppose if you have a big space or section, it'll work really well. Right now, because of our ongoing American Girl Book Club, I'm highlighting all American Girls books on display. So, I cluster on occasions.

Carol

Carol McFadden
Head of Children's Services
Patten Free Library