Sender:
From:
Kathleen Spahn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:05:54 -0500
Good morning,

On Thursday, January 10, Portland Public Library will replace our old circ system server in order to ensure that it is robust enough to support the new services we will be launching this spring. This may have repercussions for both your staff and your patrons. Any online PPL service that requires barcode authentication will not be available that day.

What does this mean?

1.       There will be no access to PPL patron accounts or the PPL catalog that day. This means you will be unable to request or renew PPL materials online, or pay any fines online. Likewise, PPL staff will not have access to our circulation system so we will be unable to do any of these tasks for you that day.

2.       MaineCat will apparently show the last good view it had of our catalog, which implies that you would be able to see our call # on the "Display Holdings" screen, but we were unable to determine for sure, and we cannot test it until we're in it. Alisia at Maine InfoNet is going to put a message on the request page that morning saying that PPL patrons will temporarily not be able to make requests. Patrons of other libraries may be able to make requests for our items and we believe they will queue up until our system is back online, but again no one is completely sure.

3.       If your library is a PALs member, your patrons with PPL cards will *not* be able to use those cards to access the Overdrive/Maine InfoNet Download Library or MARVEL!  PPL's online resources that don't ask for a barcode login  (Morningstar, Mango Languages, Small Engine Repair, Video Music, HeritageQuest, et al) will function as usual.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience as we lay the groundwork for some exciting improvements! We will let you know as soon as the server migration is complete.

Best,

Kathleen

Kathleen Spahn, MLIS / CAS-DL
Manager, Lending Services and ILS
Portland Public Library
www.portlandlibrary.com<http://www.portlandlibrary.com>

I find that a great part of the information I have
was acquired by looking something up and
finding something else on the way.
-Franklin P. Adams