From:
Jennifer Gaenzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2021 11:23:18 -0500
We have proof that Influenza A, Norovirus and many other viruses are transmissible, and contagious, via fomites from surfaces, and that cleaning and mask wearing almost eliminates that transmission.
So without actual studies on Covid Fomite transmission to prove otherwise, why would we think that this virus is any different?
 - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6121424/#ui-ncbiinpagenav-heading-3

"Influenza A transmission in a graduate student office is simulated via long-range airborne, fomite, and close contact routes based on realistic data of human behaviours. The long-range airborne, fomite and close contact routes contribute to 54.3%, 4.2% and 44.5% of influenza A infections, respectively. For the fomite route, 59.8%, 38.1% and 2.1% of viruses are transmitted to the hands of students from private surfaces around the infected students, the students themselves and other susceptible students, respectively. The private surfaces of infected students are highly contaminated. The quantity of virus (TCID50) is much higher on the private surfaces around the infected student (approaching 800 times) than around susceptible students. Keyboards, headphones, desktops, mice and mobile phones are the five most-contaminated private surfaces around the infected student. Public surfaces are dirtier than the private surfaces of susceptible students. The intranasal dose via fomites of the students’ bodies, belongings, computers, desks, chairs and public facilities are 8.0%, 6.8%, 13.2%, 57.8%, 9.3% and 4.9%, respectively. The intranasal dose does not monotonously increase or decrease with the virus transfer rate between hands and surfaces, and a specific value setting can optimally limit influenza A virus transmission via fomites Mask wearing is much more useful than hand washing for control of influenza A in the tested office setting, and the total risk can be reduced from 8.75% to 0.45% if an N95 mask is tightly sealed by infected students. Regular cleaning of high-touch surfaces, which can reduce the infection risk by 2.14%, is recommended and is much more efficient than hand-washing."

Jenn

Jennifer Gaenzle
Fort Fairfield Public Library Director
339 Main Street
Fort Fairfield, ME 04742
Website and Card Catalog – fortfairfieldlibrary.org