Date:
Mon, 17 May 2021 17:11:56 -0400
Right now, my thinking is that the best way to treat everyone equally is
by requiring masks. It protects the under 12 demographic, Maine cases
are still pretty high, we don't have to rely on people's honesty or
certificates, and one single apply rule doesn't single anybody out. Ask
me again in five minutes and you could get a different answer :)

Honestly, everyone's remarks in this thread are excellent, and I am
taking some time to weigh everything, thank you for sharing. Most
importantly, I want to get a staff consensus on comfort levels, my
decision hinges heavily on that.

Chip

On 2021-05-17 16:34, Katie Clukey wrote:

> I asked the same question because I'm not sure what to do either! We just
> opened up to appointments and I don't want to see us have to go backwards
> again because we are not being safe. I agree that no matter what we do
> there are going to be people angry about it. My motto since the start has
> been "better safe than sorry". I'd rather look back and say maybe I did too
> much instead of looking back and wishing I'd done more to keep my community
> safe. I'm torn as to how to proceed but I'm thinking we will probably still
> require masks.
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 4:27 PM Ben Treat <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> Good question -- she issued her release *yesterday *at almost the same time
> as Fauci/Walensky's briefing, but issued new guidance today that does
> indicate that vaccinated folks do not have to wear masks inside:
>
> https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/news/maine-adopt-us-cdcs-new-covid-19-guidance-2021-05-14
>
> Heavens, it is hard to keep up with the ever-shifting sands of COVID news!
> Baaaah!  Weekend.
>
> --Ben
> Ben Treat
> Director, Bangor Public Library
> 145 Harlow St, Bangor, ME 04401
> Direct to me: 207-922-6064
> Library's main line: 207-947-8336
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 4:17 PM H Grimm <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> In the Governor's press release from yesterday, it clearly states that
> "...face coverings must still be worn in public indoor settings."  So, I
> don't see how things will change at Public Libraries?
> I presume everyone's favorite Aunt, Janet McKenney, will clarify things for all of us on her next family ZOOM meeting.
>
> Heidi Grimm
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM Jon Knepp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello All,
> So, I guess I'll be the one to ask the question that is probably on all of our minds:
> What do the reviewed mask guidelines mean for libraries?
>
> Is anyone changing their policies because of the update?
>
> I don't feel like checking vaccine cards at the door fits in with a
> library's stressing individual privacy. People also will not be ok with us doing that.
>
> On the other hand, I feel like making masks optional, or using the
 honor

>> system when it comes to vaccination status is also an enormous public
>> health issue, but other businesses are definitely going to move towards
>> that.
>>
>> It feels like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and I
> think
>
>> that we should have a conversation about it, because we're all going to
>> have to make choices about it very soon, even if that choice is to
 change