From:
Andy Ryer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Ryer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2021 08:00:00 -0400
Hello. This email is to alert you to an upcoming local history program at
Thomas Memorial Library, which will be taking place tomorrow night,
*Tuesday, October
19th at 6:30pm. *Join us for: *Black History in Maine.*

*It is frequently said that Maine is the whitest state in America, yet
Black people have a long history in the Pine Tree State. The first one we
know the name of was here some 12 years before the Pilgrims arrived at
Plymouth Rock. Maine’s first doctor may have been a Black man. And the
nation’s first Black lawyer passed the bar and began practicing in
Portland. Yes, Maine had slaves. But also builders, farmers, fishermen,
ship captains, educators, and so many more that we never talk about. Join
Thomas Memorial Library as we welcome historian Bob Greene, who will
explore and celebrate this often hidden side of Maine’s history. *

This event is free and open to all. Registration is required so that we can
send you a Zoom link to join. You can register here:
https://www.thomasmemoriallibrary.org/black-history-in-maine/.

We encourage you to sign up for this program and to please help us spread
the word about it to anyone you know who may be interested. Thanks for your
help with this and we hope to see you tomorrow night. Stay safe, be well
and have a wonderful day.

--Andy Ryer

--
Andrew J. Ryer