MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:32:21 +0000
Recap of Statewide Zoom – Tuesday, July 12 @3:15

I apologize I didn’t get this recap out in a timely manner.  My last week was fraught with bureaucratic government hurdles with contract documents and budgets that demanded attention.

A recording of the meeting is available on the MSL website in the top right corner under MSL Zoom Meeting Recording Archives.  Here is a direct link to the recording <https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/services/July122022_video1007309058.mp4> for your convenience.

NEW! Bendable Maine Project Request

MSL is looking for Bendable Champion librarians or any interested librarian who wants to help take on the task of coming up with book titles to feature on Bendable Maine.

What they have done in South Bend is to have “staff picks” for reads but then add links to courses in the catalog as a “learn more” about a topic related to the fictional story or non-fiction title.

MSL would love to recruit 12 librarians in Maine to pick popular reads with a mix of topics for this list so there is coverage for each month. Unless there is a brave soul at one of your libraries who would like to do it all monthly!

We know many of you do staff picks or thematic book displays for your library.

We will have the new MSL Special Projects Manager collect tiles each month and work with Drucker to find suitable theme-related courses and add a link to the book title in MaineCat. All that is needed from you is the title, author and a short description.  Please read through the Guide <https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/grant_projects/documents/BendableMaineClassicsAndClassesGuide.pdf> and view the template.<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/grant_projects/documents/BendableMaine_ClassicsAndClassesTemplate.xlsx>

Email me [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if interested and I will get you in contact with the person at the Drucker Institute to work with.

Meeting Discussion topics

Delivery Services Update

The contract with Freedom Xpress has been signed and approved.  The per stop cost is $26.60.  There will be a monthly review of fuel costs (diesel) that may affect that price up and down.  MSL will keep libraries apprised regarding the impact of any fuel surcharges. Diesel fuel prices will be reviewed on the first Monday of each month in accordance with this chart<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/documents/FuelSurchargeChart.pdf> utilizing prices posted at the Maine AAA gas and diesel price average in Maine- https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=ME

New prices and fuel surcharge chart are in the Delivery FAQ.<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/faq.htm>

ARPA Formula Grants

We have received ARPA reports from all but 9 libraries.  I will be reaching out to each individually.  Reports need to be submitted or just corrections made as I begin work on the first phase of ARPA reporting.

Bendable Maine – Upcoming Events

Important dates:  Stakeholder Week – August 1-5.  Watch for invitations for 2 meetings in Augusta plus a a virtual meeting that week as well.

Bendable Launch – August 23, 2022 at the Maine State Library in Augusta.

Bendable Content

Fifteen national providers:

  1.  Brainfuse
  2.  Cell-Ed
  3.  Common Threads
  4.  Drucker Institute
  5.  edX audit/verified
  6.  GCF Global
  7.  GetSetUp
  8.  Interplay Learning
  9.  Khan Academy
  10. Learning Express (EBSCO) (Also in the Digital Maine Library
  11. LRNG
  12. Penn Foster
  13. Pronunciator (also in the Digital Maine Library)
  14. SCORE
  15. Skillshare
  16. Sokanu
  17. Study.com

More details on both the national and local State of Maine providers <https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/grant_projects/documents/BendableMaineContentCatalog_June2022.pdf>

Graphic<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/grant_projects/documents/BendableMaineNationalLearningEcosystem.pdf> of national providers

REALM Research Update: Briefing: Vaccines, Variants, and Ventilation – July 2022

Download<https://www.oclc.org/realm/research/research-briefing-20210701.html>

Maine LSTA Five Year Plan was approved by the Maine Library Commission, submitted and approved by IMLS. A PDF will be available on the MSL webpage at: https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/lsta/index.shtml

Thanks everyone!
Janet