MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Lord, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lord, Linda
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:44:53 -0500
FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Letourneau, Jeff [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 2:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Network redesign....

For now, ALL MSLN sites use our Internet connection in Orono for web
traffic. This afternoon, evening, and tomorrow we will be implementing major
changes to the North/South spine and Internet access in Portland. We will do
our best to minimize the impact tomorrow during the school day, but expect a
few bumps.  I am putting these changes on the fast track, ignoring standard
maintenance windows, in an attempt to put an end to all this instability.

The goal is to make all the pipes big enough to be able to shut off traffic
shaping if necessary.  Currently we are in a catch-22 situation in Portland.
If the traffic shaping box starts causing problems we can't shut it off
because the connections we currently have will get over loaded with p2p
traffic.  The net result is bad performance either way.

Global NAPS just plugged in the final fiber patch cord necessary for us to
bring up the OC-3 to Qwest. The plan is to turn up the new link tomorrow,
bringing us from 80Mbps service from Qwest to 155 Mbps. My hope is the
additional bandwidth will give us enough breathing room so if we have to
shut off traffic shaping we'll be able to absorb the p2p traffic for a few
hours.

BTW: Much of today's problems were caused by blubster traffic to/from a
teacher's computer at an ATM attached HS. I will not name names out of
concern for the school's well being. ;)

Jeff
--
Jeffrey Letourneau