MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2022 13:28:11 +0000
Tuesday, June 7 – Statewide Meeting @3:15 pm

MSL- Continuing Statewide Conversations

Tuesday, June 7, 2022 @ 3:15 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://mainestate.zoom.us/j/81213023053?pwd=R1Iza3NQa3hySDhDV2l6NXhRQTBEdz09
Meeting ID: 812 1302 3053
Discussion Topics
Delivery Prices Increase
The new prices for Van Delivery for July1, 2022- June 30, 2023 have increased from $19.14 t0 $26.60 per stop. University and Colby, Bates and Bowdoin will be increased to $30.00 per stop on their contracts with Freedom Xpress.
This is devasting to all budgets and we held a session at MLA to share the news with those attending and we can discuss at the meeting tomorrow.  Jamie prepared a slide presentation and tackled the challenge with some humor. Gas prices and driver hourly wages are the main reason for increases. Please take a look at Jamie’s slide presentation and also at the price chart in the delivery FAQ.
The plan going forward is for MSL to put together funding from a variety of sources to sustain the 1 free day for all public libraries for this year.  To tackle price increases and other delivery issues, MSL will be organizing a task force in 2022 to brainstorm solutions to the issues facing us as we stive to provide equitable service statewide. If you are interested in serving on the Statewide Delivery Task Force, please fill out this survey.<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DeliveryTaskForce>
Also look for an email with clarifying information on the process for reporting books damaged in transit through delivery.  We are adding information to the delivery FAQ document and we will sen out an announcement once we are sure we have covered the topic completely,
ARPA grant reports

Thanks to everyone who has filled out their ARPA Formula Grant final reports. We have had 144 submitted and approved.  There are 69 more reports that need to be submitted. Please submit reports by the June 15 deadline. All the reports will need to be analyzed so they can be submitted to IMLS.  I will be attending training in Baltimore June 23-24 to ensure that MSL reports this and all other ARPA funding correctly.

Spring Council

Please register for the June 16 Virtual Spring Council meeting - Centering Library Services around Equity

Registration is on the CE Calendar - https://maine-msl.libcal.com/event/9174064.  The meeting will be from 1-4.

This year we will welcome facilitators from Cross Cultural Community Services to lead a workshop that delves into multiple themes related to equity, diversity, and inclusion. MSL will also share its own equity work and invite attendees to share their own work and experiences in a listening session. Meeting link will be emailed on June 15.

Summer Reading
The Gulf of Maine Research Institute and MSL will be releasing information about Summer Reading activities around Oceans of Possibilities. Features will include Gulf of Maine Explained and GMRI Science Video Series, Celebrate Seafood! Gulf of Maine Warming visualizations and Community/Citizen Science Investigations.  Look for the posting later this week with more details.
Five Year Plan
The draft of the LSTA Five Year Plan for the Maine State Library has been submitted to Jamie, the Commission, MLAC and the Attorney General’s Office for review and any proposed changes prior to submission to IMLS. Copies of the approved plan will be posted on the MSL website.
MLA follow up
We all had a great time at MLA and thank all who attended for participating in Bendable and GMRI sessions as well as providing information and having conversations with Maine DOT on the e-bike initiative planned for this fall and meeting the folks from MHEC. Thanks to everyone at MLA for a great event.

Thanks everyone,
Janet

Janet McKenney
Director, Library Development