MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2022 19:42:16 +0000
Recap of June 7 Statewide Zoom Meeting

The recording of the meeting is on the MSL webpage<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/services/Coronavirus.htm> and at the link below for your convenience.

https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/services/June72022_1535481692.mp4

Discussion Topics
Delivery Prices Increase
The new prices for Van Delivery for July1, 2022- June 30, 2023 have increased from $19.14 t0 $26.60 per stop for the MSL and University groups.  Colby, Bates and Bowdoin will be increased to $30.00 per stop on their contracts with Freedom Xpress.
This is devasting to all budgets and we held a session at MLA to share the news with those attending and we can discuss at the meeting tomorrow.  Jamie prepared a slide presentation and tackled the challenge with some humor. Gas prices and driver hourly wages are the main reason for increases. Please take a look at Jamie's slide presentation<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/documents/MLA_VanDelivery_2022.pdf> and also at the price chart in the delivery FAQ<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/faq.htm>.
The plan going forward is for MSL to put together funding from a variety of sources to sustain the 1 free day for all public libraries for this year.  To tackle price increases and other delivery issues, MSL will be organizing a task force in 2022 to brainstorm solutions to the issues facing us as we stive to provide equitable service statewide. If you are interested in serving on the Statewide Delivery Task Force, please fill out this survey.<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DeliveryTaskForce>   Thanks to the 8 people that have volunteered already!
Also look for an email with clarifying information on the process for reporting books damaged in transit through delivery.  We are adding information to the delivery FAQ document and we will send out an announcement once we are sure we have covered the topic completely, plus an announcement of the MSL Delivery Service Announcements Only listserv.  We will auto-enroll all those listed as contacts on the Delivery Participants Label List<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/delivery.shtml>.

ARPA grant reports

Thanks to everyone who has filled out their ARPA Formula Grant final reports. We have had 200 submitted and approved.  There are 13 more reports that need to be submitted. Please contact Janet McKenney or Kim Clark for assistance or questions.  These are needed asap for reporting purposes.

Spring Council

Thanks to those that attended Spring Council.  It was a great session with facilitators from the Cross
Pasted below are links that were "homework" for attendees that I encourage you to view and/or read.
Danger of a Single Story<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg> - TED Talk from author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Why is Maine so white<https://www.mainepublic.org/maine/2019-02-19/why-is-maine-so-white-and-what-it-means-to-ask-the-question> - Article from Maine Public
Harvard Bias Test<https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html>

Five Year Plan
The draft of the LSTA Five Year Plan for the Maine State Library has been submitted to Jamie, the Commission, MLAC and the Attorney General's Office for review and any proposed changes prior to submission to IMLS. Copies of the approved plan will be posted on the MSL website.  The Commission should approve the plan on Monday, June 27 so we may submit by the deadline of June 30, 2022.
Congratulations and welcome to the new Maine Library Commission members appointed by the Governor
See all Commission members at the MSL website<https://www.maine.gov/msl/about/commission/index.shtml>.

K-12 School Library                        Andrew Wallace                              Portland

Special/Institutional Library         Wynter Giddings                             Westbrook

Library Trustee                                Jane Padham Ouderkirk                Solon

Public Library                                   Mamie Anthoine Ney                    Kennebunk

K-12 School Library                        Heather Chalmers                          Fayette

Large University Library                Bryce Cundick                                  Farmington

Small College Library                     Kristie Wilfong                                 Lewiston

Community College Library          Judith Moreno                                 Auburn

Liaison to MLAC                              Darby Kathleen Ray                        Lewiston

Rep. Underserved and Rural        Andrea DeBiase                               Carrabassett Valley

The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Join Zoom Meeting

https://mainestate.zoom.us/j/81213023053?pwd=R1Iza3NQa3hySDhDV2l6NXhRQTBEdz09

Meeting ID: 812 1302 3053

Thanks all!