MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Steve Visco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 16:06:06 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gaelyn Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 4:03 PM
Subject: {Disarmed} Everyone Comment Please! November 5th Deadline for
Talent Search RFP Comments Fast Approaching
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello NEOA!

I know we are all busy but this will not take long and is very important.
The comment period deadline for the draft ETS RFP is 11/5 (EOC comment
period is also fast approaching - 11/23). There are some serious concerns
that need to be addressed. We are not all ETS but we can all still make
comments of concerns and the higher number the better the chance for change
on the RFP. Below are some points laid out from some of our ETS leaders for
you to reference. You can use these concerns or you may use your own as you
review the draft.

You can see Oscar Felix’s email from earlier today below, the link for
comment is attached.

Example Comments on Major Concerns:

·         *On-going budgetary concerns even without adding this new
"mandate" is problematic; *

·         *Changing the original legislative intent of ETS is problematic;
*

·         *Imposing an undue burden on small CBOs and rural programs ALL
add up to potentially making ETS a less effective program for the LARGE
numbers of disadvantaged students we are mandated to serve.*

·         Proposed Competitive Preference Priorities are already listed
under permissible services:

o   Competitive Preference Priorities proposed in the draft RFP for Talent
Search; providing academic tutoring and providing mentoring programs.

o   Both activities are currently listed under §1070a–12. Talent search,
(c) Permissible services (1) academic tutoring, which may include
instruction in reading, writing, study skills, mathematics, science, and
other subjects;….

o   (6) mentoring programs involving elementary or secondary school
teachers or counselors, faculty members at institutions  of higher
education, students, or any combination of such persons;…  *Concern:*

§  *Projected level of funding; $460/per student is not sufficient for the
thoughtful planning, preparation, and oversight successful tutoring and
mentoring programs require. *

§  *A review of research on the What Works Clearinghouse provided no
research that produced Evidence of Promise or Moderate Evidence of
Effectiveness for mentoring programs, and only one for academic tutoring
for populations, for students who are the age of our Talent Search
students.             *

·         *These should not be the priorities. They are taking optional
services and basically making them mandatory.*

·         *There is not enough in the What Works Database that will fit the
Evidence of Promise or Moderate Evidence of Effectiveness standards. If
they are going to use these as the standards, they need to provide the
resources.*

·         *Other competitive Priorities would be a much better fit, for
example non-cognitive thinking, which many of us assumed would be one of
the options.*

Please take a few minutes to post a comment today!

Thank you to those that organized the above concerns and thank you to
everyone for taking a few minutes to comment! We are stronger together,
advocating for the best service for our students is very important.

*Gaelyn Hastings, M.Ed.*

*NEOA President*