MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kelly Ilseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:59:51 -0400
Hello MEEOA,

I just received this information about two education-related hearings (for *LD
464 *and *LD 567*) happening next week and wanted to pass along the
information - see below.

We should also be paying close attention to *LD 215*, "An Act to Improve
Student Retention in Maine's Postsecondary Institutions," as it may be
funneling money to JMG for services that TRIO programs already provide.
http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP008401.asp

-Kelly

Dear Colleagues,

This is a reminder of next week’s (March 16) hearings on *LD 464* "An Act
To Improve Science and Engineering Education for Maine's Students” and *LD
567* "Resolve, To Implement Recommendations from the Maine Science,
Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Education and Workforce Plan”. Both
hearings will take place *Cross Building Room 202* (large building next to
the Capitol Building).  The hearings are supposed to start 1 pm and three
bills are scheduled.  In addition to the ones I mentioned, LD 428 "An Act
To Amend the Powers and Duties of the State Board of Education” is also on
the list.  It is hard to tell the order of the bills to be heard and when
we will be able to testify.  This depends on the committee’s schedule and
the number of people who will testify.  However, given the subject matter,
anticipate to be there from 1 pm to 5 pm. You can obtain more information
about the bills at http://mainelegislature.org/.

Tom and I would like to meet with those who plan to testify at *Noon* outside
of the Cross Café in the basement floor (I think) of the Cross Building so
we can collectively be prepared for the afternoon.

*Please email if you plan to attend and/or testify!!!*
______________________________
Terry Shehata, Ph.D.

----------------
Kelly Ann Ilseman
Upward Bound Math/Science Program
Assistant Director/Academic Curriculum Coordinator/Academic Counselor
Maine Educational Opportunity Association President

Best ways to reach me:
call or text: 617.784.2320

other ways to reach me:
main office: 800.581.2522
office: 207.581.3720
fax: 207.581.2710

snail mail:
University of Maine
Upward Bound Math/Science Program
5713 Chadbourne Hall, Rm 224
Orono, ME 04469-5713

http://umaine.edu/ub/

*Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.