MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Alyssa West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2016 20:59:55 -0400
I only had a handful of students who were selected for verification (maybe
a third?). The only $0 EFC students who were selected were those who
submitted the FAFSA prior to filing taxes based on estimates, along with
the students whose parents have no income from work. Our students whose
parents file taxes on the earlier side have been waiting and submitting the
FAFSA after, and that seems to be helping to reduce the number of
verifications.

I did get a little bit tripped up with one student who had initially
skipped all the parent asset and student income questions, so there was no
option for her to complete the IRS Data Retrieval. It took us a while to
figure out that she had to change the answer to that question in order to
see the option for the data retrieval for the student.

The verification process is such a hassle. One of my students was so
overwhelmed by all the additional paperwork that she didn't follow through
with it for all of her schools (despite my advice saying to do the
opposite!). She basically decided to just go with her top choice and never
even saw financial aid packages from the rest of her schools.

Alyssa West
TRIO Upward Bound
University of Southern Maine
37 College Avenue