ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:01:20 -0500
At 11:12 PM 11/7/96 -0400, D B Doucette wrote:

>Considering the knocks we take every so often, (and likely should Shawn
>return as scheduled) this would be the true test of how "good" the program
>is.

I don't believe that Walsh has recruited players simply to play in the pros.
Maine has a lot of AHL players, but relatively few NHL players.

.. Mike Dunham got his first NHL win last night BTW.

Walsh and company have seemingly stuck to a strategy over the last five
years or more where they recruit smaller, quicker forwards, and larger
defensemen.  With the exception of Paul Kariya, very few Maine forwards have
succeeded at the NHL level, mainly because of their size.  While not tiny,
even former Hobey Baker winner Scott Pellerin has yet to make a real big splash.

Maine's defensemen have had better success at making it to the pro level.
Weinrich, Keith Carney, and Bob Beers are all quality NHL d-men.  I hope I'm
not leaving someone out.

>Am I correct that UMaine currently dominates ?

No, I don't believe so.  Others say BU, and I tend to agree.

>On another interesting subject right now, could anyone remind me as to what
>happened in the Maine (or was it USM) case about baseball player
>suspensions about campus sports betting ?

That was USM, and it was last spring I believe.

>Consider the sanctions given to Maine Hockey when compared to similar
>violations in college football at Michigan State U, who got, IMHO, much
>less severe treatment for what were categorized as the same infractions as
>happened at UMaine.

Jim Rich had a good answer to the question of penalizing players in his "Ask
Jim" column on USCHO (http://uscollegehockey.com).

>It will be interesting to see in a compare / contrast thing whether Boston
>College will be treated any differently than a Maine school for players
>caught betting.

One thing to keep watch of.  I believe Mike told me that the Boston Globe
today indicated that other sports (other than football) may have been
involved with the betting.  If the NCAA comes to Chestnut Hill I'd be
worried.  The NCAA usually finds at least "something" when it does these
probes.  For the sake of college hockey, let's hope the BC problem is
confined to the football program.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])