ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Svec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:44:12 -0500
This is the first time I felt compelled to write to The Maine Hockey
Discussion List.   The immature call by the sports editor of the BDN for
Shawn Walsh to be fired and the continuous flow of anti-Maine editorials is
beyond belief.  I'm from away and have followed Big Ten, ACC, SEC and Big 8
(now Big 12) sports for the last 45 years and have seen real abuses and
violations.  If any self respecting cub reporter much less an editor in Ann
Arbor, Lincoln, Montgomery or dozens of other of cities would write such
shallow and hateful editorials they would be run out of town by the
reputable press and fans.  Unfortunatly in a one newspaper area, childish
statements can go unchallenged.  Most of the problems in Orono were due to
poor administration of the entire atheletic program...the AD and the
Compliance Officers.  Their failures spilled into many of the programs.  The
BDN would not sell more newspapers if they were castigating unknown
administrators.

As for Rep. Art Mayo it appears as if we have a man who likes publicity not
unlike A1 Bob Dornan.  There has never been a rule that our legislators have
to be intelligent, logical or fair.  Their are thousands of examples of this
self serving behavior.  I hope that the leadership of both parties in
Augusta will give Mr. Mayo's resolution all of the attendion it deserves
......NONE!

I can't wait until Shawn Walsh returns.  I'll be there to be part of a loud
and long standing ovation!!!!

Bob Svec
Eastbrook, Maine