ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:10:26 EST
Here is my US College Hockey Online preview of Maine's weekend series.  You
can check out the preview of all the Hockey East games by going to the
"Features" section at:

        http://www.uscollegehockey.com

Maine (6-6-1, 1-4-1 HE) at Boston College (6-6-1, 3-3-1 HE)
Friday and Saturday, 7 p.m., Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, MA

After a midweek 4-2 win over Northeastern, Boston College lost 6-3
to Clarkson before getting Jerry York his 500th career win with a
come from behind 6-4 win at St. Lawrence.

"I told the team not to think about 500," said York. "We kid about it
sometimes, but we're focused on other things. We try to downplay
individual achievements and emphasize our team goals."

Beyond the milestone win, the biggest news out of Chestnut Hill is
that goalie Greg Taylor will return to play this weekend. The decision
to play him in one game or two has not yet been made, but he will
play in at least one.

In the interim, Mike Correia has filled in well, though not quite at
Taylor's level. "He started slowly," said York, "but he's come on real
strong. He's had a tough stretch [with Taylor out], playing a lot of
games in a short amount of time. But now he say say, 'Hey, I can play
at this level.' "

York has emphasized keeping the shot totals down, a point even
more important in Taylor's absence. Prior to the Eagles' road trip to
Clarkson and St. Lawrence, they had held powerful UNH to 20 and 24
shots in losing efforts and then Northeastern to 23. On the road,
however, they surrendered 33 to Clarkson and 39 to St. Lawrence.
With totals like that, Taylor's return gains added significance.

"Our power play is slowly getting better," said York. "We started out
this season 0 for 18, but we're looking a little more dangerous out
there now." BC features sophomore Marty Reasoner and four
freshmen -- Mike Mottau, Jeff Farkas, Blake Bellefeuille and Kevin
Caulfield -- on its top man-advantage unit.

Bellefeuille earned Hockey East's Rookie of the Week honors with a
goal and an assist in all three BC games this past week. He is tied for
the league lead in rookie scoring with eight goals and six assists in
12 games.

Maine came back for a 4-3 win in the semifinal round of the
Governors' Cup against Lowell before losing decisively to the
second-ranked UNH Wildcats.

"I thought we played well against Lowell," said interim coach Greg
Cronin. "We outshot them 31-15. As usual, we had to come from
behind to win it. In the second period we outshot them 11-3 but were
outscored 2-1, which has been a reflection of our entire season. But
I thought we played a solid game defensively and the puck started to
go in for us in the third period.

"Against New Hampshire I thought it was a good first period by both
teams. Then they opened it up in the second period. They capitalized
on some turnovers on our part. They're a talented team. You turn the
puck over in dangerous areas of the ice against them and they're
going to score. They took advantage of that and won the game
decidedly, 7-2."

Walk-on goalie Javier Gorriti replaced Alfie Michaud in both games,
earning his first Division I win, over UMass-Lowell. Although Cronin
has delivered biting criticisms of Michaud this year, he supported his
goalie this time. "Alfie's playing real well," he said. Cronin said that he
did not yet know whether Gorriti would play this weekend.

The many Black Bear injuries seem to be abating. Ben Guite missed
the UNH game with an elbow injury and Bobby Stewart has been out
with a knee problem. Cronin hopes to have them both back for the BC
series.

PICK: Boston College sweeps, 5-4 and 4-2.